why choose less-toxic nail polish
Why should you choose less-toxic nail polish? Honestly, why not is the question.
If you haven't heard, most traditional nail polishes are filled with toxins that are found to be hazardous to your health. When applied on your nails, these toxins are absorbed into your body, leaving you exposed to several health risks like skin irritation or serious illnesses. While one may argue that these are often applied in small quantities and do not pose immediate risks, when used repeatedly, these harmful toxins can cause dryness and weakening of nails – all of which are compromises that you shouldn't have to make if healthy, beautiful nails are what you’re really after.
Think about it: if you eat clean, exercise regularly and ensure that your beauty care products are natural or organic, why aren’t you concerned about what is being applied on your nails?
By opting for less-toxic nail polish, you aren’t just choosing a safer choice for your health. You are also supporting a greater movement that promotes the use of sustainable beauty care, helping improve work environments for nail technicians and doing your part by reducing waste and pollution on our planet!
EW... THE TOXIC LIST!
SO WHAT'S IN YOUR NAIL POLISH? LEARN MORE ABOUT THE ICKY INGREDIENTS FOUND IN MOST TRADITIONAL POLISHES:
Often used in nail polish as a hardener and preservative
a skin, eye, and respiratory irritant that is also a known carcinogen (research has shown that formaldehyde exposure has been associated with leukemia)
Included in some polishes to give a smooth finish
Exposure has been linked to anemia, lowered blood cell count, liver or kidney damage, and may affect a developing fetus
dibutyl phthalate (DBP)
To increase wear and shine
Known to be toxic for the reproductive system. Research has found through lab tests that it causes lifelong reproductive impairments, underdeveloped genitals and possibly, cancer.
A derivative to regular formaldehyde that is often used to form a tough, durable and shiny coat on nails.
known to be a skin allergen that causes dermatitis.
Used to give a glossy and shiny appearance
when used in large doses, can cause nausea and headaches when inhaled, making it a concern for nail technicians. Also not permeable and deprives nails of nutrients, causing yellow staining
ethyl tosylamide/epoxy resin
Transforms polish from drippy to dry in minutes.
Barred from personal care products in Europe due to its antibiotic properties and concern over antibiotic resistance
triphenyl phosphate (TPHP)
Found in nail polish to make it more durable
A handful studies have suggested that TPHP could affect hormones – in particular, it could potentially affect reproductive health and lipid metabolism
Prevents nail polish from getting soggy
a known allergen and possible carcinogen, according to research from the International Agency on Research For Cancer Scientific Publications Series.